An Evaluation Council appointed by the Government operates in connection with the Finnish Education Evaluation Centre (FINEEC). A new Evaluation Council has now been appointed for the term 10 June 2022–31 May 2026.
The Evaluation Council’s tasks include participating in the planning of FINEEC’s strategic activities, making decisions on statements and initiatives that are far-reaching in nature or significant in principle, and drafting a proposal for the Education evaluation plan.
“FINEEC’s task is to produce information and development recommendations for local, regional and national decision-making and development work as well as for international comparisons. The Evaluation Council’s first task will be formulating a policy on how FINEEC can with maximum impact produce information, understanding and competence related to education that combined will lead to wise decisions. The Council will also get to prepare and discuss a proposal for an Education evaluation plan for 2024-2027 at the very beginning of its term of office. Stakeholders will be broadly engaged in the preparation of the plan, and FINEEC experts will be enthusiastically involved in this work”, says Harri Peltoniemi, Director of FINEEC.
Evaluation Council members represent diverse perspectives on education policy
The Evaluation Council includes representatives from different sectors of education, teacher education, research, world of work and student organisations alike. This makes the Evaluation Council a key body for FINEEC whose members represent diverse perspectives on education policy and societal change. At best, the Council also challenges FINEEC in a positive sense.
The Evaluation Council members during the term of office extending from 10 June 2022 till 31 May 2026 will be:
- Mirjamaija Mikkilä-Erdmann, Professor, University of Turku
- Martin Ubani, Professor, University of Eastern Finland
- Jouni Koski, Rector, Laurea University of Applied Sciences
- Camilla Wikström-Grotell, Director of Academic Partnerships, Arcada
- Jarmo Paloniemi, Director of Joint Municipal Authority, Educational Consortium OSAO
- Päivi Ikola, Principal of a basic education school, City of Tampere
- Kati Lounema, Director, Finnish National Agency for Education
- Terhi Päivärinta, Director, Association of Finnish Local and Regional Authorities
- Mirja Hannula, Senior Advisor, Confederation of Finnish Industries EK (10 June 2022–31 May 2024)
- Jyrki Mäkynen, CEO, Oy HM Profiili Ab (Federation of Finnish Enterprises) (1 June 2024–31 May 2026)
- Jaakko Sarmola, Assistant Principal, Trade Union of Education OAJ
- Kirsi Rasinaho, Education and Labour Policy Specialist, Central Organisation of Finnish Trade Unions SAK (10 June 2022–31 May 2024)
- Riina Nousiainen, Senior Advisor, Education and Training, Finnish Confederation of Professionals STTK. (1 June 2024–31 May 2026)
- Nikolas Bursiewicz, Education Policy Specialist, National Union of University Students in Finland SYL (10 June 2022–31 May 2024)
- Anniina Sippola, University Policy Expert, Union of Students in Finnish Universities of Applied Sciences SAMOK (1 June 2024–31 May 2026)
- Matti Tujula, Specialist of Interest Representation, National Union of Vocational Students in Finland – SAKKI (10 June 2022–31 May 2023)
- Aliisa Toivanen, Education Policy Advisor, Union of Upper Secondary School Students in Finland (1 June 2023–31 May 2025)
- Emma Holsti, Advocacy Coordinator, Finnish National Union for Students OSKU (1 June 2025–31 May 2026)
The members serve in the Council as independent experts rather than representatives of their background organisations. The Evaluation Council elects a chairperson and a vice chairperson among its members.
Congratulations to the new Evaluation Council!
- Director Harri Peltoniemi, harri.peltoniemi(a)karvi.fi, +358 29 533 5532