FINEEC is carrying out an evaluation of literacy training for immigrants in 2021–2022. The evaluation will produce information to support the planning, implementation, assessment and development of literacy training for immigrants for the educational institutions providing the training, education providers and national steering system. The evaluation applies to liberal adult education and basic education for adults.
The responsibility for providing literacy training for adult immigrants was transferred from the Ministry of Economic Affairs and Employment to the administrative branch of the Ministry of Education and Culture at the beginning of 2018. Subsequently, educational institutions providing liberal adult education have been able to provide new kind of literacy training aimed at adult immigrants. The reformed adult basic education has also been made to include a separate stage on literacy.
Evaluation themes and evaluation questions
- Statistical national picture: What is the national situation of the volumes and distribution of education provision by region, type of institution and type of education?
- Assessment: How do current assessment practices support students’ equal opportunities to develop their skills and progress along the educational path?
- Guidance for education: How do the criteria and practices for guidance for education support the realization of competence and need-based learning on the students’ education path?
- Fluency of the educational path: What factors influence the continuation paths of the students and the fluency of the educational paths?
- Effectiveness of literacy education: What effects does participation in education have on the development of students’ skills and their functioning in society?
The evaluation is carried out in accordance with the principle of enhancement-led evaluation. Different stages of the evaluation involve consulting an expert panel whose composition takes into account the different levels of the development of literacy training and the diversity of the cooperative field. The panel includes representatives from the Ministry of Education and Culture, Ministry of Employment and the Economy, Finnish National Agency for Education, Centre for Economic Development, Transport and the Environment, student guidance, and the various forms of liberal adult education and their teaching staff.
The schedule of the evaluation process is confirmed when the project plan is approved. Changes are possible due to the effects of the COVID pandemic.
The evaluation is currently in the data collection phase. Training providers will respond to the survey in April and educational institutions will be visited in May. Note! The response time to the survey has been extended until June 13, 2022.
The evaluation will also produce information for the focus areas of Developing Learning and Competence and Increasing the functionality of the educational system.
- Hanna Väätäinen, tel. +358 29 533 5568, firstname.lastname@example.org