Entrepreneurship and innovative capacity in higher education and vocational education and training
1.2.2017 - 31.12.2018
The Finnish Education Evaluation Centre FINEEC will complete the evaluation of entrepreneurship and innovative capacity in higher education and vocational education and training by the end of 2018. The evaluation focuses on entrepreneurship studies, an operating culture that supports entrepreneurship and students’ experience of learning entrepreneurship. The evaluation is carried out from multiple perspectives, using a variety of materials.
The evaluation provides information about factors that promote and hinder entrepreneurship and innovation at the level of operating culture in vocational education and training and higher education. The point of view is that of students, entrepreneurs, providers of vocational education and training and higher education institutions.
In addition to information, opportunities for dialogue are provided to increase mutual understanding and to improve interaction between operators that promote entrepreneurship.
IMPLEMENTATION OF THE EVALUATION
The evaluation is implemented in three phases between 2017 and 2018. It concerns all providers of vocational education and training and almost all higher education institutions. The results of the evaluation will be published at the Entrepreneurship Education Conference on 3 October 2018. The report will be published towards the end of 2018.
First phase of the evaluation: Background materials: spring 2017
In the first phase, information serving as background material for the evaluation was collected from all providers of vocational education and training that in spring 2017 had an authorisation to provide education granted by the Ministry of Education and Culture. Basic details about the entrepreneurial and innovation activities implemented by the education provider, any regional cooperation related to entrepreneurship and the details of the contact persons for entrepreneurship and innovation were collected from the education providers.
Between 2015 and 2016, the Ministry of Education and Culture collected self-assessment material on activities that support entrepreneurship from all higher education institutions. In addition, the Ministry implemented a follow-up survey based on the material in spring 2017. This material will be used in the evaluation project.
In connection with the collection of material in the first phase, information about entrepreneurship education and innovation organised by the education providers was also sought from the statistics and regional entrepreneurship education strategies of Junior Achievement Finland, the YES Network and the Federation of Finnish Enterprises.
- Evaluation plan (in Finnish)
Second phase of the evaluation: Student questionnaire: autumn 2017
In the second phase, the factors promoting and hindering entrepreneurship were examined from students’ point of view. The target group of the questionnaire comprised all students and candidates in vocational education and training and the students studying for a Bachelor’s degree in universities of applied sciences and academic universities. The same thematic framework was used in the student questionnaires in vocational and higher education, but the questions were tailored according to the sector. The questionnaires included questions about entrepreneurship and innovation studies and the operating culture. Provider-specific feedback was compiled from the results of the questionnaires for providers of vocational education and training and higher education institutions, enabling them to obtain the results concerning their activities for their own use.
- Results of the student questionnaire targeted at vocational education and training (in Finnish)
- Results of the student questionnaire targeted at higher education (in Finnish)
- Press release: Students in vocational education and training and higher education learn in cooperation with companies (in Finnish)
Third phase of the evaluation: Operating culture: spring 2018
In the third phase of the evaluation, the results of the student questionnaires were deepened through evaluation visits to vocational and higher education institutions. During the visit, thematic group interviews were organised for students, teachers, the persons responsible for entrepreneurship education (higher education institutions) and the management. In addition, FINEEC organised a series of Yhdessä Yrittämään! events in five different localities together with the Federation of Finnish Enterprises, Rectors’ Conference of Finnish Universities of Applied Sciences Arene ry and Universities Finland UNIFI.
Regional materials help to gain a deeper understanding of how the different dimensions of the operating culture function and what kind of obstacles and opportunities there are. Development recommendations are drawn up based on these materials.
- FINEEC: Results of the student questionnaire (in Finnish)
- The Federation of Finnish Enterprises: Reform of vocational education and training (in Finnish)
- Slides summarising the Yhdessä yrittämään! thematic workshops Jyväskylä (in Finnish)
- Slides summarising the Yhdessä yrittämään! thematic workshops Vaasa (in Finnish)
- Slides summarising the Yhdessä yrittämään! thematic workshops Joensuu (in Finnish)
- Slides summarising the Yhdessä yrittämään! thematic workshops Espoo (in Finnish)
- Slides summarising the Yhdessä yrittämään! thematic workshops Oulu (in Finnish)
- Presentation held in Y-Foorumi on 4 May 2018 (in Finnish)
- Presentation held in YKTT2018 on 3 October 2018 (in Finnish)
Does your educational institution, higher education institution or region have any good practices for the promotion of entrepreneurship? You can propose adding them in FINEEC’s Best Practices portal.
The persons responsible for the practical execution of the evaluation are senior advisors Juha Vettenniemi and Mira Huusko and evaluation experts Raisa Hievanen and Anni Tuurnas. An external group of experts has been appointed to support the evaluation.
EXTERNAL GROUP OF EXPERTS
Members of the group of experts, 1 April 2017–31 December 2018:
- Student entrepreneurship specialist Tapio Auvinen (Junior Achievement Finland)
- Development Manager Jatta Herranen (North Karelia Municipal Education and Training Consortium)
- Director Joonas Mikkilä (Federation of Finnish Enterprises)
- Professor (Emeritus) of Education Esa Poikela (University of Lapland; Docent, University of Tampere) (until 31 May 2018)
- CEO Matti Petteri Pöntiö (Helsinki Think Company)
- Director of Entrepreneurship Education Elena Ruskovaara (Lappeenranta University of Technology)
- Director Veli-Matti Lamppu (Ammattiosaamisen kehittämisyhdistys AMKE ry)
- Rector Vesa Taatila (Turku University of Applied Sciences) (until 31 May 2018)
- Managing Director Elina Ylikoski (Jyväskylän Yritystehdas Oy)
Email addresses: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Senior Advisor Mira Huusko, tel. +358 29 533 5565
- Senior Advisor Juha Vettenniemi, tel +358 29 533 5547