- This event has passed.
Evaluation of Teacher Education Development Programme implementation 2018
1.10.2017 - 31.12.2018
A reform of teacher education is underway
The Finnish Government has set the goal of Finland having the most competent teachers in the world who develop their competence throughout their careers. In order to reform teacher education, the Ministry of Education and Culture has established a Teacher Education Forum, which has prepared a Teacher Education Development Programme. The ministry has also granted appropriations amounting to approx. EUR 15 million in 2017 and nearly EUR 13 million in 2018 for teacher education development projects.
An evaluation to support and monitor the teacher education reform
The Finnish Education Evaluation Centre (FINEEC) will complete an evaluation of the implementation of the Teacher Education Development Programme by the end of 2018. The evaluation will produce information on
- whether the selected measures have been an effective way to improve teacher education
- whether the process of reforming teachers’ initial education, induction training and continuing professional development has got off to a good start
- which factors promote or hamper the renewal of teacher education, and
- how the process of reforming teacher education should go forward.
The evaluation can be characterized as policy evaluation performed during the reform process in support of decision-makers and teacher education developers.
The evaluation is being carried out by an evaluation team appointed by FINEEC.
Multiple method data collection and participatory involvement of different stakeholders are used in the evaluation. In spring 2018, the evaluation group analysed the Teacher Education Forum’s materials, interviewed the working committee serving as the Forum’s steering group, and conducted a survey addressed to Forum actors and the parties responsible for academic and vocational teacher education. A workshop was organised for teacher education development projects in June. In the early autumn, the evaluation group will conclude its data collection by interviewing selected teacher education actors and key stakeholder representatives.
A report will be produced on the evaluation results, which will be published in the FINEEC’s publication series in November–December 2018.
- Chair: Professor, Research Director Hannele Niemi, University of Helsinki
- Executive Superintendent of General Upper Secondary Education Tapio Erma, City of Espoo
- Professor Lasse Lipponen, University of Helsinki
- Principle Lecturer Martti Pietilä (retired), Oulu University of Applied Sciences
- Student Riikka Rintala, University of Jyväskylä
- Professor Heli Ruokamo, University of Lapland
- Senior Advisor for Education Toni Saarivirta, Regional State Administrative Agency for Western and Inland Finland
For more information please contact