FINEEC supports early childhood education and care providers, education and training providers and higher education institutions in matters concerning evaluation and quality management.
FINEEC’s tasks is to support early childhood education and care providers, education and training providers and higher education institutions in tasks related to quality management. The forms of support and guidance vary slightly depending on the needs of the education sector. The laws regulating education govern the duty of early childhood education and care providers, education and training providers and higher education institutions to evaluate the education they provide and their operation. However, the laws do not define in more detail what should be evaluated and how the evaluations should be implemented.
Quality management refers to the practices, processes or systems used by the educational organisation to plan, implement, monitor and develop the quality of its operation. Quality management can be understood as a general concept that includes quality assurance, development, management and steering. Self-assessment is part of quality management.
FINEEC supports education providers in the development of quality management in the following ways:
- by producing evaluation data for the needs of quality development
- by evaluating organisers’ quality management systems
- by producing information on quality management and development practices and by spreading them across the boundaries of different levels of education.
- by supporting early childhood education and care providers, schools, educational institutions and higher education institutions in taking advantage of national evaluations and self-assessments and in strengthening the perspective of enhancement-led evaluation.
- by supporting quality management, steering, development and assurance.
- by developing evaluation systems, support material and evaluation tools
- by offering training and guidance concerning quality management and evaluation
The needs of the different education sectors vary and they form the basis for FINEEC’s activities. More information about evaluation at different levels of education and support for quality management is available on the pages specific to the different levels of education.
- Early childhood education
- Pre-primary and basic education
- General upper secondary education
- Vocational education
- Higher education
Relevant legislation (in Finnish):
- Act on the Finnish Education Evaluation Centre 1295/2013
- Basic Education Act 628/1998
- Act on Early Childhood Education and Care 540/2018
- Act on General Upper Secondary Education 714/2018
- Vocational Education and Training Act 531/2017
- Universities of Applied Sciences Act 932/2014
- Universities Act 558/2009