The renewed vocational education and training puts emphasis on the working life orientation of the education and training and the significance of work-based learning. The planning and organisation of the education and training as well as anticipation of competence needs must be carried out in cooperation with the working life and the business community. The vocational education and training reform aimed at intensifying the interaction between education and training and the working life to better ensure that the education offered and development services correspond to the needs for change at workplaces and in the business community.
The evaluation is focused on the working life orientation of vocational education and training and the processes and practices related to cooperation with workplaces. The evaluation will produce information about the implementation of education and training organised at workplaces, the approaches used in the implementation, and the functionality and impacts of the education and training. Information on the structures and forms of the cooperation between education providers and workplaces, and their functionality and development needs will also be produced.
The evaluation concerns all vocational education and training (VET) providers that organise vocational upper secondary qualifications, further vocational qualifications and/or specialist vocational qualifications.
Collection of evaluation data
In the evaluation, the evaluation data will be collected from the senior management of VET providers, teachers of vocational units, workplace instructors, employers and students. In addition, already existing statistical and register data will be used.
The evaluation will be based on the principle of enhancement-led evaluation. Through the implementation of the evaluation, education providers and teaching staff have an opportunity to identify their strengths, development areas and good practices related to working life cooperation and education and training organised at the workplace.
The final evaluation report will be published in the early autumn of 2022.
An evaluation team consisting of the following members will support FINEEC’s experts in the implementation of the evaluation:
- Ville Loukusa, Working life coordinator, City of Kajaani Education and Training Enterprise (Kainuu Vocational College KAO)
- Laura Pylväs, Postdoctoral Researcher, University of Helsinki, Faculty of Behavioural Sciences, Centre for University Pedagogy and Learning (HYPE)
- Kirsi Rasinaho, Education and Labour Policy Specialist, The Central Organisation of Finnish Trade Unions SAK
- Jenni Taakala, Development Manager, Svenska Framtidsskolan i Helsingforsregionen AB (Vocational Institute Prakticum)
- Matti Tujula, Specialist of interest representation, National Union of Vocational Students in Finland (SAKKI)
- Mikko Vieltojärvi, Adviser, Confederation of Finnish Industries EK
For further information, please contact
- Senior Evaluation Advisor Raisa Hievanen, firstname.lastname@example.org, tel: +358 29 533 5542
- Counsellor of Evaluation Paula Kilpeläinen, email@example.com, tel: +358 29 533 5557
- Methodological queastions: Senior Evaluation Advisor Mari Huhtanen, firstname.lastname@example.org, tel: +358 29 533 5510
FINEEC’s other evaluations examining working life orientation and cooperation with working life:
- Evaluation of the quality management systems of vocational education and training providers and developing the evaluation model and criteria, 2018–2022
- Ability of the education system to respond to challenges of continuous learning in sudden structural changes